Last weekend, Jeff and I, along with Sharon, quickly packed our bags, stuffed the car and headed north. Sharon's Aunt passed away and her funeral was up in Cardston. Jeff and I didn't want Sharon to have to make that long drive alone, so we decided to go with her. Plus, I'd never been to Canada before, so it was kind of exciting for me.
On the way up there, we picked up Jeff's cousin's little girl, Marcel. She was a super cute little seven-year-old who was silent until it got dark. She was missing her dogs earlier, she said. But luckily, Jeff and I brought some DVDs that helped to keep her entertained.
Here are some of my favorite Marcel quotes:
"I'm always right."
"This is a big round world."
Marcel was sure we were close to Canada when we still had halfway to go. This gave me unrealistic expectations, having never been to Canada before, about the journey that lay ahead.
In a quick summation: It's a long drive.
Unfortunately, I also had a dreadful cold and a wounded toe... so, I wasn't very much fun at all. I didn't even take any pictures.
We stayed with Jeff's Auntie Coco and Uncle Wally that night. They were super nice. (How is it that everybody in this family is wonderful?) The next morning, they gave us a tour of Cardston and of Waterton Park (a beautiful place I'd love to go in the summer).
After that, we went to the funeral. I never knew Aunt Rowayne, but as far as I can tell, she was an amazing, classy lady. The funeral was lovely. I was amazed by how much I could tell she loved the Lord. She was always kind and charitable. Later, I asked Jeff if people are really as great as people say they are at their funeral. Are people really that virtuous? We decided it's something that comes with age. I certainly hope that I can become a lovely, charitable, amazing, spiritual and classy lady like Aunt Rowayne.
I'm certainly going to need some time.
That night, I wasn't feeling especially well, so I basically went straight to sleep once we got home from the funeral. I feel bad that I wasn't able to get to know Jeff's family more, but hopefully that means he'll take me up there again when it's warmer. (Did I mention that Canada is cold?)
The next morning we hit the road again. Jeff's family does road trips a lot different than mine. They drive drive drive until they get where they're headed. That's the way I always wanted my family to travel. But, I have to admit, I miss stopping in random places every so often. :)
In all, it was a nice weekend -- a good first glimpse of Canada. The company was great. What more can you ask for?
Plus, it's aboot time I got to Canada, eh?
Oh, I forgot, I did take ONE picture. Here's Jeff and I in front of the Cardston Temple:
| What an awesome temple. I'd love to do a session there when we visit next. |
You ARE a classy lady, Megan! And FYI, we had to stop in a lot of random places because I need frequent twiddle breaks! What can I say! :-)
ReplyDelete