Monday, January 30, 2012

re-creation recreation

As our one-year-versary approached, and as we made plans for our little stay away, we thought it would also be fun to re-create our first date. Because what's more fun than spreading a one day celebration out for three days. We're just taking our cue from Christmas.

So, on the day of the State of the Union Address, I called my dear husband, as he sat in the next room, to ask him out. He (surprisingly (tee hee)) agreed!

On Saturday, January 28, Jeff and I set out to recreate our first date. I was planning to take a shower and get all pretty, but laundry and thrift store searching took longer than both Jeff and I expected. By the time we got back to the apartment, we were ready for food. So, with my hair an absolute mess, we ventured off to Stoneground.

We arrived and were surprised to discover that the restaurant was a lot louder than we remembered. It seemed to be some sort of singles night and was sorta icky feeling. (Note: this is NOT what it was like the first time). After putting our names on the list, I ended up whispering in Jeff's ear that I wanted to leave. He agreed and quickly told me not to feel bad about it. He knows me so well.

We thought we'd still be able to re-create some of the date, so we stopped off at the City and County Building for our "Impromptu Walk."


Surprise! The City and County Building is closed on Saturday. This is our "sad face" that we only made it up to the locked doors.

As our re-creation steadily unthreaded, and there was clearly no hope of repair, we decided to finish off at Leatherby's -- eating dinner and dessert in the last location of our first date. Jeff and I no longer live close to the aforementioned Leatherby's. Luckily for us, though, there is one located on North Temple -- just blocks away from our apartment!

Here's the great thing about this Leatherby's: It's nearly empty. A quiet Leatherby's on a Saturday night?!?! What better place to celebrate the one-year-versary while slurping down a grilled cheese sandwich and a hamburger with a Tracy's Peanut Butter Cup sitting by the love of your life. It was great enough that it deserves a run-on sentence. It was just great. Just what we needed.

Then, instead of going home right away, we drove through the Avenues and scouted out awesome houses.

We were home before 10 P.M. so Jeff could work on his homework.

*****

One thing I've learned through my life in theatre is that you can never re-create a moment. A play is never the same two nights in a row. Magic comes and goes. And though rehearsal may attempt to cement it, that magic can never be grasped again.

I guess that's true in life, too. Jeff and I attempted to relive our past; that obviously wasn't in the cards.

But you know what's great about letting go of the past? It helps you recognize the present.

Instead of making my hair all pretty, I spent time with a man who thinks I'm beautiful when I haven't showered and my hair is a mess. Instead of being dropped off at my parents' house at 10 PM, I got to go home to an amazing apartment with my handsome husband. Instead of saying goodnight on the porch, I woke up the next morning with Jeff by my side.

Maybe, after 365 more days go by, we'll try re-creating again.
I won't be surprised if it doesn't work.

And, as long as I'm with Jeff, I won't be disappointed either.

No comments:

Post a Comment